Most of us know the benefits of having exfoliation in our skincare routine:
- Deep cleansing of the pores and skin, preventing breakouts and problem skin
- Removal of dirt and oil which can be left behind by other products, also preventing breakouts
- Better penetration of actives (such as moisturisers and serums) into the skin
- Improved skin texture (including reducing the appearance of fine lines) and brightening of dull skin
- Prevention of all kinds of skin bumps
Some of us can become overly zealous with our skincare routine and overuse some skincare products, mostly because they make a big difference when you first start using them. However, when it comes to exfoliation, over-exfoliating the skin or using the wrong type of exfoliant for your skin type can do much more harm than good.
The key problem with over-exfoliation is that you are removing skin cells that are not ready to come off. Over-exfoliation can occur when you use any product (such as scrubs and peels) that don't discriminate between dead and healthy cells, thereby taking the healthy cells off as well as the dead cells.
Here's what we need to watch out for:
- Harsh scrubs can cause micro-tears in the skin
- Over-exfoliated skin, in turn, manifests itself in redness, irritation, a burning sensation, and which can be painful.
- Acid-based exfoliants like AHAs and BHAs can lead to skin sensitization because of the acidic condition they introduce
- Overusing Retinoids on skin that is damaged or sensitive can create many other problems (read our blog about skin barriers).
- Micro-dermal abrasion can be quite severe for the skin and is costly
- Chemical peels, likewise, can be harsh and are relatively costly
We are not saying you should never use these treatments, but what is important to understand is that with such harsh treatments you must be careful and use them sparingly.
Without getting into the science of the various types of exfoliants (which we have covered in our previous blogs, such as this one and this one) the best advice I can give is to understand your skin type (oily, dry, combination or sensitive) and use that as the basis of choosing the right type of exfoliant and frequency of exfoliation for your skin type. Yet, what if I told you that by using a smart and natural exfoliant, you may not need to worry about any of these complex choices? What if the exfoliant worked with your skin type (whatever it is) and tells you when it is working but more importantly it also tells you when to stop using it?
Well here comes the sales pitch. Our BOA exfoliant is exactly that. It is a natural, non-invasive (meaning it does not react with your skin), gentle exfoliant. The key problem with over-exfoliation is that you are removing skin cells that are not ready to come off. This is what sets BOA apart from all the others. It ONLY removes the dead cells, not your healthy ones. Why would anyone want to force healthy skin cells that are working hard to protect us to be shed?
Cost is another real consideration from my perspective. I don't think you need to spend hundreds of dollars to keep your skin radiant and healthy. BOA is great value for money, can last for 6-8 months.
It reduces the appearance of wrinkles by removing the dead cells in the top layer of the skin that make wrinkles more pronounced - and it does it naturally and without chemicals. Using BOA can make your skin look radiant, helps keep your pores clean and open, and therefore helps you prevent some skin problems such as Milia, acne, and dry flaky skin.
Rather than taking drastic action like micro-dermal abrasion or chemical peels you can naturally work your way into always having soft, smooth, and radiant skin, with BOA - all from the comfort of your own home.
WANT TO TRY BOA? As a thank you for reading our blog, please use code 'BOAACADEMY' for 10% OFF your BOA products.
We are so confident you'll love BOA, all purchases are eligible for our 30-day money-back guarantee.
The BOA Skin Academy Blog hopes to bring you educational, insightful and interesting reading material on the topics of skincare, beauty, rituals, self-care and wellness. All topics are chosen and written by the BOA team, with credits where credit is due. If you have a suggestion for a topic or a question about what we have written, we would love for you to get in touch. Please email us at email@example.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
For all our BOA customers, please leave a review on our website for a discount on your future purchases.